Sunday 25 August 2013

Volunteering at Park Run

There are not many things which will drag me out of bed at 7:30am on a drizzly Saturday morning but this weekend I found myself heading out to Park Run. Unlike the other, shamefully few, times that I have headed to Park Run I wasn't running it but instead volunteering.

Park Run relies on volunteers to make sure that it goes ahead each week and remains free for its runners. When I saw an appeal from Mile End Park Run on Facebook for volunteers this weekend I decided to put my name down. My role was Marshal and I was looking forward to seeing another side of the Park Run experience.

I was paranoid about being late and overestimated the run there so arrived 15mins early which resulted in a cold and wet wait in the park. However, another of the volunteers was also early and it was great to chat to someone who had not only been to the Mile End Park Run a number of times but was a bit of a Park Run tourist as well having tried a few others out.

I was shown to my marshalling point and left to get on with, well, being a marshal. The only problem is I wasn't sure exactly what I should be doing. Having only been to Park Run twice I wasn't sure whether I should woop and cheer people up the hill or whether I should just act as a marker to show people the correct route. Wanting to be a crowd pleaser I opted for polite clapping and a smile... but must admit to feeling extremely awkward throughout.

It was a great experience, watching people take on the Park Run and to see the reaction of other park users as a group of runners hurtle round the course. I was asked by a couple of people about what we were all doing, one runner and the rest just curious park goers. A family walking their dog paused and cheered for a bit and then carried on with their Saturday morning.

Despite feeling awkward I am glad that I had the chance to volunteer and it certainly made me realise the amount of people and the dedication of the coordinators it takes to make sure Park Run happens every week.

Have you visited your local Park Run? Ever thought about volunteering?

1 comment:

  1. For me there are different stages of parkrun commitment
    1. Turning up regularly to run
    2. Volunteering x3
    3. Volunteering more than x3 in a year
    4. Turning up to watch

    But you don't have to do the levels of commitment in order!

    ReplyDelete