Friday 15 November 2013

Doing it as a team!

This Saturday… as in tomorrow!… I am joining 8 other Bromley by Bow Centre supporters on the start line of the Men’s Health Survival of the Fittest. This will be the first time I have attempted an obstacle course but it will also be the first time I have taken on a challenge with a team!

Over the past couple of weeks, depsite my training being minimal, I have discovered just what it is that is so special about taking on a challenge as part of a team. I am a runner normally and whilst I do run with groups such as GoodGym and with various friends it is, on the whole, a very solitary activity. Whilst the active running community on twitter can make it feel like you are part of a team nothing beats really being a part of a team.

Some of my team for Survival of the Fittest I am yet to meet so our contact has been largely virtual however, the remainder of my team are colleagues and in fact some sit in the same office as me. We all get on well as work colleagues and have visited the pub together after work a few times but I think taking on a challenge which we are all equally as excited and nervous about has brought us together in a way other team building activities may not have done.

Creative Stimulation
Taking part in this event together and wanting to share our experiences has meant that we have been able to pull together our creativity and bounce ideas off of each other better than if it was one of us alone. Hence the birth of our spoof training video.

Motivation Boost
We have done some core workouts in the office before work or during our lunch. We have been there when one of us has had a wobble of confidence about the weekend’s undertaking and we have shared our training plans with each other. It is great to have others that you can talk to about your challenge to get you motivated!

Expanded Social Circle
Whilst two of my team sit in the same office as me one other lady who is taking on the challenge, whilst working at the Bromley by Bow Centre, sits within a different project. It has been great to get to know her through the build up to the challenge and have an experience that we have shared together.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of working towards the weekend’s challenge as part of a team and hope that our cameraderie continues on the race course!

You can support me through Virgin Money Giving - www.virginmoneygiving.com/jasminemorris 

What are you experiences of being part of a team? Do you prefer to take on challenges solo?

No comments:

Post a Comment