Wednesday 31 July 2013

Turning that frown upside down

This week has been horrible. I have been exhausted, run off my feet busy and anything that could go wrong has done.

It has been so easy for me to be negative this week, to be pessimistic and wallow in self pity. But today I have decided to stop being a moody bum and to start being positive. But it is hard to do something which, for a majority of the time, comes naturally. So this is what I have resolved to do...

1.  Remember that it is ok to have take time out for me.


So often I try and fit too much in, to prove I can take anything on at work, that I can keep up my training in the evenings and have a social life. My motto, up until now, has been to say "Yes" to any challenge that comes my way and work out how to tackle it later. But, this week, I am going to make time to listen to my body - if I need to go to bed early, I will. If I need to miss the run or boot camp, I will. I need to realise that if I run myself into the ground then I will burn out.

2. Remember that as bad as you feel now, it wasn't that long ago you felt good


I am dramatic. When things go wrong I tend to react as though nothing has ever been right and that nothing will ever be right again. When I think back to this week, it has been pretty awful but on Sunday morning I was in Surrey, I went for a run on the heath and took a few minutes to stand here and just soak in the peaceful atmosphere. I felt happy, content and positive. Just thinking about that makes me realise that it has only been a couple of days and it won't be long until I feel like that again.

3. Remember that you can't blame everyone else for how you feel


It is easy to blame everyone else for how you feel and I know I do. But it is time I realised that I have to make my own sunshine - I have to make myself happy whether that is through letting things go and not letting them get me down or whether it is doing something that makes me happy.

How do you cope with the low days?

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I tend to try to get to bed as early as possible with a book if I have a really low day, and usually things seem better in the morning x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def a good idea - sometimes you can feel so guilty about having to cancel things or say no to stuff but sometimes you need to and take some time for yourself. Nothing is ever as bad as it feels at the time!

      Delete