Monday 30 September 2013

Couples that run together, stay together

I love my boyfriend, he is my best friend in the whole entire world. We hang out with each other A LOT and so it was only natural that when we started running we took it up together. But I have a confession...

I HATE MY BOYFRIEND WHEN WE ARE RUNNING! (Phew it feels good to get that off my chest.)

When we signed up to the 2012 Run to the Beat neither of us had any experience of running and we were excited to start our journey together. As the months ticked by our lovely evenings and afternoons of running became full of arguments and silence. As his fitness improved and his focused shifted from completing the half marathon to completing it in under 2hrs he became more interested in running quicker and further than me.

We did the Run to the Beat and when we were waiting at the start line I would not have wanted anyone else next to me... and then we crossed the start line and he raced off into the sea of yellow running tops as I plodded on behind.



Fast forward to now and we have done a 10k and the National Lottery Run together and still do our regular runs with each other. And even though we are more evenly matched in pace and I have even beaten his times in races we still spend the whole run hating each other.

I run behind him staring at the back of his head raging over him trying to beat me, seething about the dishes he hasn't washed or the mess he made in the lounge. He runs behind me snapping at me for going too fast or too slow, for taking up all the room on the canal path.

But after all that, we get to share the highs of getting a PB together, the post run endorphins hit us both when we finish a run and all the stresses we were feeling disappear as we talk through the run and celebrate how far we ran or commiserate together when its been a tough one. We push each other to achieve more.

And THAT is why I think that couples who run together, stay together.

3 comments:

  1. This made me giggle so much! I HATE my partner on the very limited times we run together..he is way faster and I feel like a slug or get wound up when he keeps nagging me :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad im not the only one!!! I view it as a form of therapy :p xx

      Delete
    2. Im glad im not the only one!!! I view it as a form of therapy :p xx

      Delete