Saturday 8 June 2013

Fitness Freak Rave Up

What happens when you mix 90's club classics, glow sticks and a dance routine? Well on Wednesday night I found out at the Fitness Freak Rave Up!

Fitness Freak is an amazing resource for finding your local exercise classes from yoga to hula. For two nights this week they hosted four Fitness Freak Rave Ups - dance workouts with a strength session to 90's classics for an hour in the tunnels under Waterloo.

I am not one for dance exercise classes - I am uncoordinated and have the memory of a goldfish. In fact I normally stay clear of them... for everyone else's sake as well as my own... but the lure of 90's music and glow sticks meant that I was signing up without a moments hesitation. And it was worth it!



The tunnels are known for hosting a variety of weird and wonderful pop up events and stood surrounded by graffiti and street art with groups of people dressed in their best neon I was beyond excited. On entering the tunnels the music was pumping and we were guided to a room full of boxes and after hesitantly relinquishing all of my worldly belongings I ventured, glowsticks in hand, into the main room.

Huge neon and UV prints decorated the walls and free UV body paint got everyone in a raving mood way before the class officially began. The class itself was fun, energetic and sweaty with a variety of moves repeated to different tracks increasing in speed. Even I was able to follow the routine and doing it with glowsticks in the dark meant that even when I didn't quite get it right no one was able to notice (apart from the poor soul whose foot I trampled!)



I was surprised by a good strength session in the middle with squats and lunges meaning that by the end my legs were feeling like lead and I felt like I had properly worked out which is something I haven't experienced in similar dance exercise classes.

The evening finished up with a good stretch and some Vita Coco which is fast becoming my favourite post workout treat!

All in all, I really enjoyed the class and am almost a dance exercise class convert... as long as it is in the dark... with UV... and I can sing "THERE'S NO LIMIT" at the top of my voice...

No comments:

Post a Comment