Sunday 2 June 2013

Park Life - My first Parkrun

I've heard a lot about parkruns. People rave about them all over twitter and on the recently launched Guardian Running Blog there was an article in praise of the parkrun.

So, up early on a Saturday I decided to give the Mile End parkrun a go and it didn't disappoint. I arrived  just before the 9am start outside Mile End Stadium and there was a crowd of runners warming up, stretching and chatting to each other. Usually, this sight would terrify me - walking into an established crowd and being the newbie but this was different. The runners were friendly and the volunteers called all first timers (a surprisingly large amount of us) and explained the course and the process.

The beauty of the parkrun is in the simplicity of the course - two laps to the canal and back. Simple... well a part from the 4 up hills this involved... I am not a fan of hills so it was great to blast some uphill running over a short fast 5k. And it certainly was a short fast 5k - the front runners were clear from the start as they raced ahead of the main group and could be seen heading back on their second lap before I had finished my first. I felt like I was running through treacle, my legs were heavy and I just wasn't feeling it. But, I surprised myself and managed to complete the 5k in 24mins. But what's an even nicer touch, especially for the competitive parkrunners is the email of results you get after telling you where you finished in the group and where you finished in relation to your age group and sex.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience and felt like a real community. Although I don't think I will go every week I will make sure I go every month.

And, even better - my run was done by 10am leaving the rest of a sunny Saturday free for baking and BBQs.

No comments:

Post a Comment