Sunday 30 June 2013

A change is as good as a rest

Today finally felt like summer had arrived - I woke up at 7am to the sun shining and bright blue skies. I couldn't wait to pull on my trainers and just get out there for a quiet sunday morning canal run.

Unfortunately, my body had other ideas. I was aiming for a leisurely 10miler but by mile 3 I was struggling, hot, tired and running low on water (which is unlike me as I tend to run for an hour before needing a drink) I was close to quitting and getting the bus home.

Taking a detour through Mile End Park in order to make my way home I saw the stepped hill and opted for three sets of squat jumps to the top with walking lunges back down. Then some leg strength exercises. I then did three Kenyan Hill sprints before making the 1.5mile run home.

Instead of being disappointed that I didn't get the miles under my belt I was feeling tired and had that pleasant aching in my thighs.

So, my new philosophy is that when I feel like I can't do the length of run planned I can only cut it short with a good workout in the middle then, and only then, will I have earnt the right to bail.

Afterall, a change is as good as a rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment