Sunday 5 May 2013

Fit and Healthy

Another great blog topic for the Blog Every Day in May challenge. I am not going to preach and share a load of tips I have found the internet about eating your 5 a day or drinking lots of water. Instead I am just going to share a typical week for me and my running.

After years of paying a fortune to slog it out in the Gym and join exercise classes which highlighted my lack of coordination to "get fitter" which in my world, at that time, meant "to get skinny". After watching the Brighton Marathon 2012 and seeing runners of all different shapes and sizes taking on the challenge I decided to give running a go... and I haven't looked back since! Now when I go out for a run it is truly to "get fitter" and with that has come some weight loss but also a lot more. I now view my body as a machine which only puts out what I put into it.

So a typical week for me at the moment (when not training for a specific race):

Monday evening - GoodGym group run usually 6-11k - we meet up, run to a local organisation who needs lots of people to do a task such as shifting soil and then run back. It is great to discover the wealth of great organisations in my local area, meet like minded people and beat the Monday blues!

Tuesday evening - Visit my GoodGym coach usually 5k - As part of GoodGym I have signed up for a coach, Veronica. She is local elderly person not far from my work so I run from work to hers, have a good chat and then run home. This gets me out for a short fast run but is so much more than that as Veronica and I always have a good laugh!

Wednesday evening - Fit-City Training - This is an intensive 1hr training session with the wonderful Ade. It includes a good dynamic warm up, usually some speed/hill interval training, core work and a good stretch session. I have only been going to this since Christmas and it has increased my stamina, fitness and technique hugely.

Sat/Sun - Long run - At the moment I only have a couple of 10k races coming up so these aren't hugely long runs and for now I am just taking it easy and enjoying getting out for a run whilst the rest of the world has a fry up! My Mr is training for a half marathon so these are a great opportunity for us to get out together.

I am also trying to work on my core strength so am fitting in some core work after each of my runs ready for my Brighton Marathon training in the Autumn. Once Marathon training begins a typical week of running for me will look a lot different but for the next few months I am running for the sake of running... and loving it!

What is your fitness schedule like? How do you mix it up and keep it interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment