Sunday 19 May 2013

We Own The Night

Last night saw thousands of women dressed in glowing orange t-shirts descend on Victoria Park for Nike and Elle's We Own The Night - women's only 10k...and I was one of them!



There had been a lot of hype leading up to the event and I tried not to get too caught up in all of the hype after the let down that Run To The Beat was and what with this being another Nike run I worried that the hype would be bigger and better than the run itself.

I was disappointed on arrival at the "running festival" as I was running alone and the Mr was not allowed in with me so I was facing an hour of wandering round on my lonesome... but the atmosphere in there was amazing! I met a couple of other girls there on their own and joined them to discover the delights awaiting us - there was free vita coco drinks, glowing bracelets, DJs, Nike and Elle tents. Unlike other runs there were plenty of toilets and a really nice relaxed atmosphere.



The run itself did take awhile to get going and I am not sure how I managed it but I ended up in a slower starting group than I would have liked (not sure whether this was because I didn't understand the importance of the coloured glow bracelet or because I was never asked what time I wanted to do it in!). This was a little frustrating as it meant when the race started I had to fight my way forward and it was a busy start! But once the race got going it opened out a little more and I was able to make up my time lost at the beginning.

The atmosphere around the course was fantastic - DJ stations blasting out music, pacers carrying boom boxes, large glowing globes marking part of the route and lots of people cheering. There was of course some less than favourable shouts around the course... as was to be expected... "Oi Nice A*RSE" and the like... but it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

The finish was brilliant - you were made to feel like you had really achieved something, given a gorgeous "We Own The Night" bracelet instead of a medal and plenty of really useful goodies such as wet wipes, deodorant and dry shampoo. And with a huge changing room area it meant getting ready to go out and celebrate my new PB of 50mins was easy!



I would, without a doubt, do another We Own The Night Run... so, when's the next one?

No comments:

Post a Comment